UNION COUNTY, NJ — The primary election is just a month away, and Union County residents will be able to vote in local and county races.
Across the county, there are a few major races to watch for this primary season. Most notable are the Congressional races and the Board of County Commissioners race.
New Jersey’s 7th Congressional District, currently represented by Democratic Rep. Tom Malinowski, represents several cities in Union County.
This includes Berkeley Heights, Clark, Cranford, Garwood, Kenilworth, Mountainside, New Providence, part of Scotch Plains, Springfield, Summit, part of Union Township, Westfield and Winfield Township.
The candidates vying for NJ’s 7th District are:
- Tom Malinowski (Democrat)
- Roger Bacon (Democrat): “Put America and American Rights First!”
- Thomas H. Kean (Republican)
- Kevin B. Dorlon (Republican): “For family and freedom”
- Erik Peterson (Republican): “Republican Law for America”
- John Henry Isemann (Republican): “New ideas. New energy. New Jersey.”
- Philip Rizzo (Republican): “America’s First Conservative Republicans”
- Sterling I. Schwab (Republican): “A new choice for your voice”
- John Flora (Republican): “America First Agenda”
Voters must choose one of these candidates for a two-year term.
Candidates running for the 8th, 10th, and 12th congressional districts, as well as the Board of County Commissioners can be found here.
When to vote
The voter registration deadline is May 17 — 21 days before the primary election.
The deadline for requesting an absentee ballot is May 31 – seven days before the election. In-person submission of mail-in ballots must be submitted by 8 p.m. on June 7.
The deadline for submitting mail-in ballots that are not postmarked is June 9, no later than 48 hours after the polls close, according to the County Board of Elections. Union.
Early voting will also take place June 3-5 for the primary election. Voting hours are Friday and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Where to vote
There are seven early voting sites in Union County:
- Cranford: Union County College, 1033 Springfield Avenue, Nomahegan Building, Room N4 (near Guardhouse: parking in Lot 1)
- Elizabeth: Sampson Center, 800 Anna Street
- New Providence: DeCorso Community Center, 15 E. 4th Street
- Plainfield: Union County College, Church Street, between E. 3rd and E. 4th
- Rahway: Rahway Recreation Center, 275 E. Milton Ave, Room 112
- Roselle: Amalfe Community Center, 1268 Shaffer Avenue
- Union: Township of Union. Senior Center (moved), 652 Rahway Avenue
Do you have a topical tip? Email [email protected]
Get more local news straight to your inbox. Sign up for free newsletters and patch alerts.