GEORGETOWN, TEXAS, USA, July 5, 2022 /EINPresswire.com/ — Georgetown Behavioral Hospital has published a guide on how to life skills training for adults with mental illnesses can help. Life skills training can be implemented in their daily lives to help lessen the effects of their mental illness on their lives.
Some people with mental disorders may have difficulty completing tasks or maintaining strong relationships with those around them. Sometimes their mental illness can interfere with their ability to focus on things that are important to them. Life skills training allows adults to learn how to achieve their goals despite their mental illness.
Techniques taught typically include:
• Personal care: dressing, healthy eating, hygiene, transportation, coping skills, money management, etc.
• Social skills: decision making, problem solving, creative thinking, critical thinking, organization, etc.
• Job skills: how to be productive, job search and keep a job.
• Use of free time: structuring of free time, time management and participation in recreational activities.
People who attend residential mental health programs can benefit from learning these skills. Through group and individual work, they can learn to apply it in their lives. This allows them to become familiar with the new routines and allows for a better transition back home.
Some benefits of learning life skills include:
• Mental Illness Improvements
• Better daily functioning
• Improved social functioning
• Improved professional functioning
• Better use of free time
• Boosts self-esteem and confidence
• Life skills training extends into life
Many of the skills learned in residential programs are implemented over time and can provide a foundation for a steady return to daily life. Many of the skills help people complete tasks, build relationships, and mitigate the effects of mental illness on their lives.
Georgetown Behavioral Hospital offers quality care from caring staff and evidence-based programs that are effective. If you or someone you know is struggling with serious mental health issues, they should visit the website to learn more about the hospital’s mental health inpatient care programs.
Georgetown Behavioral Hospital
write to us here