Your WhatsApp chats are precious, so being able to move WhatsApp messages from Android to iOS with official support got us excited.
As explained in a new WhatsApp FAQ (opens in a new tab), the Android to iOS migration process is now available for regular users after being in beta for a while. It takes a bit of setup and a bit of a wait, but thanks to Apple’s Move to iOS app, it’s not complicated.
Since the beginning of this year, you can move your iOS WhatsApp messages to Android, but not vice versa. Now that you can move your data the other way, anyone who wants to switch to iPhone, as many users seem tempted to do, can do so knowing that they won’t lose their WhatsApp history in the process. .
As one of the most popular and best messaging apps in the world, WhatsApp was a big reason why users would continue to use Android phones or iPhones even if they wanted to chat. After all, what’s the point of using all the unique features of a new phone if you have to leave all your chat histories behind? From now on, however, you have more freedom to choose which of the best phones are good for you, not just the ones that are compatible with your current one.
If you are able to chat right now, read on to find out how to move your WhatsApp chats from Android to iOS.
How to Move WhatsApp Messages from Android to iOS
- Set up a new iPhone/Reset
- When prompted, choose to move data from Android
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android device and connect it to the iPhone
- Follow the steps to migrate WhatsApp and other app data
- Complete iPhone setup, insert your SIM card and re-register for WhatsApp
- Allow WhatsApp to unzip your Android data
Read on to see detailed instructions for each step.
How to transfer WhatsApp messages from Android to iOS : Setup
Before you begin, make sure both of your devices are ready to undergo the transfer process. Android phone should be running Android 5.0 or later while iPhone should be running iOS 15.5 or later. Make sure to run software updates on both phones before proceeding, if necessary.
The next thing to remember is that this will only work with a new iPhone, so you’ll need a new iPhone or reset your phone to send your data (we’ve got the details on how to reset an iPhone here). You will also need the same phone number to register with WhatsApp so that you can access your chats at the end of the process.
If you have already started using WhatsApp on your iPhone, you will need to reset your iPhone to recover your old chat history. Unfortunately, there’s no way to merge the logs, so you’ll lose any messages you sent before the reset. You can’t send your call history or display name at all, but hopefully you can live without those.
During the transfer, the phones must both be connected to the same Wi-Fi, or the Android phone must be connected to the iPhone’s hotspot during setup when prompted. WhatsApp also says both devices need to be plugged in and charged as well, but I managed to complete this process without charging any of the devices. Presumably, this is just a precaution to ensure that no device dies during the transfer.
How to Move WhatsApp Messages from Android to iOS: Complete Steps
Now that everything is settled, here is how to move your chats from Android to iOS.
1. First of all, Download Move to iOS on Android device. This is an Apple designed application designed to help you send data to iPhone or iPad, and it is through this application that you can send your WhatsApp data.
2. During installation, perform the initial setup on your iPhonemaking sure you use the manual configuration option instead of Quick Start (which only works with other iPhones).
3. When iPhone asks where you want to transfer data from, select Move data from Androidthen faucet Continue. You will then be presented with a 6-digit code.
4. Open Move to iOS on your Android device and after press Continue several times and allow permissions application requests, Enter code when prompted.
5. Faucet Relate when the message “Connect to device?” pop-up appears on your Android phone.
6. On the next data transfer screen, faucet WhatsApp
seven. On the next screen, faucet Begin to prepare your data for transfer. When it’s over, faucet Next.
8. Back on the data transfer screen, choose the other data you want to transfer, so what hit Continue.
9. After a few minutes, your data will have been transferred successfully. Faucet Do on the Android phone to exit Move to iOS. Faucet Continue on the iPhone to complete the setup process.
ten. Once you are done with iOS setup and on the home screen, download whatsapp again.
11. While waiting for the download, swap your sim card on your iPhone if you haven’t already.
12. follow the steps in WhatsApp to reconfigure your phone number.
13. You will then get a prompt to start moving chats from Android, so just press start so what give all necessary permissions proceed.
Soon you will have your WhatsApp chats on your iPhone, just as you left them!
14. Although it’s not strictly part of the process, make sure when you’re done that you set up an iCloud backup on your iPhone so that you have a copy of your WhatsApp data in case you need to swap iPhones or reset your device again.
Also, delete whatsapp data from your android device when you’re done, before you forget. You can do this by deleting app data only or resetting the phone if you no longer need it.
Upgrade technology? It doesn’t have to be a stressful experience with our guides on how to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone, how to transfer data from Android to Android, and how to transfer data from iPad to iPad.