Your guide to planning a street party in the county borough of Bridgend


(Adobe Stock)

A four-day bank holiday weekend will take place from Thursday June 2 to Sunday June 5, 2022, along with a series of national events designed to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee.

Bridgend County Borough Council has made available a step-by-step guide to help residents who wish to mark the occasion with a street party or other community celebration.

Residents coming together to hold street parties marking royal or national events is a British tradition.

The Platinum Jubilee will provide communities across the County Borough of Bridgend with a great opportunity to come together and have a celebration with neighbours.

To support this and ensure people can mark the occasion safely, the council is releasing the following information so local communities can plan ahead.

CEO Mark Shephard

If you’re interested in hosting your own event in Bridgend County Borough, here’s what you need to know:

  • Plan early – think about what you want to accomplish and where you want to hold the event. If the location is on municipally owned land or involves a street/highway, contact the local authority as soon as possible.
  • Bridgend County City Council will support requests for road closures to allow a street party to take place so long as the location is suitable for such an event – for example, a cul-de-sac or a side road with low traffic level.
  • Some roads must remain open if, for example, they have a bus route or are needed for emergency access. Public roads classified A, B or C are not suitable for closure applications.
  • Although there is no charge to request a temporary road closure, all requests must be submitted no later than 10 business days prior to the date of the scheduled event. You can send them to [email protected]
  • Applications will need to demonstrate that street residents support the road closure. A designated organizer who is fully responsible for the street party and closing must be named with contact details.
  • The designated organizer will be required to provide details showing that a risk assessment has been carried out and that appropriate measures are in place to safely close the road, restrict access to traffic for public safety and adequately maintain the closure for the duration of the event.
  • As a private party, under licensing regulations you will not need a license to sell food unless you only want to sell hot food and drinks after 11pm. Agreeing with neighbors to bring food to share at the event is a great way to bring different groups of people together.
  • If you want a cash bar, intend to provide entertainment to the general public, or charge a fee to raise funds for your event, you will need a Temporary Event Notice for which there is a fee and a required notice period of at least 10 working days. . If your event is likely to involve more than 500 people, you will need a premises license – visit our Licensing webpage for more details.
  • For small residential street parties, liability insurance is recommended, but not absolutely essential. However, it would be a good idea to consider it for large organized events – for more advice on this visit
  • Consider if someone is available at your event who is trained and equipped to provide first aid. If the event is likely to generate noise, please inform residents and businesses in the area in advance and provide them with the contact details of the organizer in the event of a problem.
  • Remember you will need to clean up after your street party, so please keep your premises clean and tidy. Let people know in advance when the party will end and have a section for trash bags and recycling.


Comments are closed.